Africa House is located in Area 43, Plot Nr. 70 in Malawi.
If you are coming from the M1, turn at the Petroda gas station into Ufulu Road, then its the 4th turn to your right, 2nd house on the right side.
If you are coming from City Center, follow down Blantyre Street until the end, turn left on Ufulu Road, first turn left again and then 2nd house on the right.
With a population of one million in 2011, Lilongwe (which takes its name from the Lilongwe River) has been the capital city since 1975 and is now the largest city in Malawi.
Lilongwe has two aspects. The Old Town has maintained the character and atmosphere of an old trading centre with many buildings dating back to the early 1900s. The location of the originally much smaller city, Old Town remains the main centre of commerce. Capital City Centre was established in 1975 with the construction of many government buildings on Capital Hill, and is also the home of the parliament building, most of the foreign embassies, bank headquarters, and international NGO offices.
Beyond the clear separation between Old Town and City Centre, Lilongwe is divided into areas which are numbered chronologically by their date of establishment beginning with Areas 1-4 (Old Town).
The closest ATM to Africa House is Standard Bank. It is situated in Area 10 at the Pacific Centre Mall (next to the Blue Ginger restaurant). You can use Meastro Card, Master Card, Debit Card and Visa Cards. Banks are open from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and 8:30 am to 11:00 am or 12:00 noon on Saturdays, depending on each bank. Banks are closed on Sundays and national holidays.
Taxis are the fastest and easiest way to get around in Lilongwe. Negotiate a price with your driver before you set off. If you take a taxi to the airport you pay one way ($35 US). Our staff will be happy to call a taxi for you.
The 'Lizulu Market' is located along the Kenyatta Drive few meters north of the Game and Shoprite complexes, and provides an informal town market for fresh fruits, vegetables and more.
The tobacco auction floors are situated to the north of Lilongwe, just off the M1, in the Kanengo Industrial Area. The auction season runs from April to mid-October. You can visit the floors and witness the auctions without prior appointment.The best time of the day to make a visit is early in the morning.
Lilongwe Wildlife Centre
This sanctuary for sick and orphaned wild animals is a recent addition to Lilongwe. The Wildlife Centre is open to the public 7 days a week. Guided tours will be provided. Tel: 099 9521 605.
Lilongwe Golf Club
Lilongwe Golf Club provides facilities for a wide range of sport and leisure activities. The Golf Club boasts not only a golf course, but also facilities for cricket, tennis, football, bowling and squash. Tel: 01 753 118/598.
Kumbali Cultural Centre
You can visit the cultural village and stroll through the countryside or have a drink while enjoying the lovely view or listen to live music played by local musicians. If you want to be sure that something is happening, call before you set off. Tel: 0999 963 402
- Craft market: Old Town next to the post office and Kiboko Hotel
- African Habitat: Old Town Mall
- Four Seasons: Area 12
(Close to Africa House)
- Blue Ginger (Indian and Chinese): Delicious Indian food. Located at Pacific Shopping Complex in Area 10.
- Queen of Sheba (Ethiopian): Located on Plot 10/338 in Area 10, along Mtendere Road, the restaurant offers authentic Ethiopian cuisine in a quiet and homely atmosphere.
- Buchanan's Restaurant (Grill): Situated in the Four Seasons gardens along the Presidential Way, Buchanan's is frequented by many expatriates and has a nice outside terrace and garden.
- Kiboko Restaurant (International): Located in the courtyard of the Kiboko Town Hotel, this is an ideal place to have lunch. The menu offers something for everyone such as hamburgers, salads, milkshakes, club sandwiches, chicken dishes, and many more. This restaurant has a friendly atmosphere with live music at Saturday.
- Don Brioni's Bristro (International): A restaurant with a warm atmosphere were they serve excellent steaks. Situated along Mandala Road, opposite Muscco House in the Old Town.
- Mamma Mia (Italian): A popular spot for a good Italian meal and provided with a nice terrace. Situated in the Old Town Mall, along Paul Kagame Road.
Malawi & Zambia is a long-standing combination.
Kiboko Safaris is operating for more than 15 years as Malawi's leading trendsetting safari company. They are known for our high quality, low priced safaris to a wide variety of favoured destinations.
Tel: 0999 838 485, 01 751 226
THINGS TO DO AROUND LILONGWE
- Dedza Pottery: Located in Dedza Town about 1 hour drive south of Lilongwe, the shop offers reasonably priced, export quality pottery. It's also a popular stopping spot for tea/coffee and scones on the drive between Lilongwe and Blantyre.
- Salima: Located about 100km (1 hour drive) from Lilongwe City, Salima has beautiful beaches and is a fun place for a quick getaway.
- Dzalanyama Forest Reserve: This Reserve is approximately 40 km south-west of Lilongwe in a range of hills which bear the same name. The forest is a great place for exploring, trekking, and mountain biking.
- Ntchisi Forest Reserve: beautiful unspoilt forested hills with accommodation now being transformed at Ntchisi Forest Lodge.
- Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve: Only 2,5 hours drive from Lilongwe is a rugged wilderness of the Rift Valley escarpment, but also containing large mammal populations. Accommodation is highly recommended at Bua River Lodge with very reasonable prices and great service. A visit can be combined with a visit to the lakeshore and Nkhotakota Pottery.
- Viphya Highlands: A scenic forested plateau. Good mid-market accommodation at Luwawa Forest Lodge with an emphasis on activities - also suitable for a relaxed forest escape.
- Nyika National Park: Unique scenic beauty of the rolling plateau; plus wildlife safaris. Other activities include mountain biking, trekking and fishing. High quality accommodation is offered at Chelinda Camp and Chelinda Lodge.
- Vwaza Marsh Wildlife Reserve: Complementary lowland wildlife area. Game viewing by 4x4 and on foot. Currently can be stayed in only as part of a mobile safari run by a tour company.
- Lakeshore & Islands: There are plenty of great accommodations. for lake-based activities, or simply relaxing on a beautiful beach. Take a look in the Eye magazine for options.
- Cape MacClear National Park: One of the most beautiful sections of the lakeshore, Pumulani provides the perfect getaway, with stunning lake views. Pumulani offers water sports, hiking and accommodations. Cape maclear is about 4 hours drive from Lilongwe
- Around Blantyre: The Satemwa Tea Estates at Thyolo are beautiful, with stunning views across to Mulanje and the Lower Shire Valley. There's also the added attraction of staying on a working tea estate in charming colonial managers' bungalows. Game Haven is an impressive private game reserve. For climbers/trekkers
- Majete reserve: One hour and a half from Blantyre, Majete is a 70.000 Ha of true wilderness. Mkulumadzi lodge is a beautiful lodge owned by Robin Pope Safari where they offer river cruises, game drives and walking safaris.
- Mulanje Mountain: The highest mountain in Central Africa Malawi, Mulanje is surrounded by beautiful scenery including tea plantations and varieties of cedar trees unique to the mountain.
- Zomba Plateau: Fabulous views and forest activities including walking, trekking and mountain biking. The Sunbird Ku Chawe sits right on the edge of the Plateau, offering upmarket accommodation and breath-taking views.
- Liwonde National Park: Malawi's best park for game, with safaris on offer by boat, 4x4 or on foot. Mvuu Lodge & Camp offer up- and mid-market accommodation beside the River Shire.
|January 1st||New Years Day|
|January 16th||John Chilembwe Day|
|March 3rd||Martyrs Day|
|March/April||Good Friday & Easter Monday|
|May 1st||Labour Day|
|14 June||Freedom Day|
|July 6th||Republic Day|
|2nd Monday October||Mothers Day|
|2nd Monday December||National Tree Planting Day|
|December 25th||Christmas Day|
|December 26th||Boxing Day|